Wednesday, June 27, 2012

And We All Shine On - Part 1

Hello!

Below you'll find a picture of our soon to be light fixture in our tent. We happen to chance upon this little gem at an estate sale about two weeks ago. Oddly enough, I saw it when we went to the sale on the opening day and I didn't think twice about it. When KBD, Thom my partner, and I returned the next day, when everything was half off by the way, KBD picked it up and thought it was perfect for the light fixture were looking for! I didn't see it right away till she flipped it upside down (face palm).

Before

When I first saw it sitting on the floor, I thought it was neat but it obviously was a top or finial to something else so I just walked away. KBD was creative enough to see the potential. Good thing too cause now the price was much cheaper.

Anyhoo, on the car ride home, we debated about it's finish. My partner, Thom, and KBD both thought it could do with a good polish. I was a bit hesitant only because it had a nice patina and I was worried that shining it up would make it look cheap (it's solid brass). But Thom is a bit OCD about certain things and he went ahead and took polish to toothbrush and started his work.

After

Two hours and some elbow grease later, voila! You know what, I do like it a lot more polished. I think it will add a lot of ambiance to the ceiling of our tent. However, we're not done yet. To truly make it the spectacular Moroccan inspired light fixture we intended, we'll need to jazz it up a bit. More on that later.

-HWC

1 comment: