Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Devil is in the Eggs

Hello!

So since it's a summer picnic type of event, you obviously need to serve deviled eggs, right? Thommy, my partner, serves something called Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs. They are a little shocking to look at, but they taste delightful. Also, the red blush the pickling produces makes them stand out in any buffet set-up. Thom found the recipe in an old Gourmet magazine I picked up somewhere, but you can find the recipe anywhere on the net.


So, that being said, the search for a deviled egg platter was on. Admittingly, I did already own a platter, but (shame face) it was made of plastic and plastic would not do for the Gatsby picnic.

As much as I love to shop online, I decided to check out one of the local antique shops here in town. Now, Pauline's is not what I would call an antique store, it's more like an "overwhelming product experience". Pauline's is crowded, musty and full of soo much stuff, you'd need to spend a whole weekend just to see everything. Plus, Pauline herself is the NICEST person and knows pretty much all of her inventory.


So I found a perfect clear glass hobnail deviled egg platter and it was 45% off! I can easily jazz up the platter by placing it on top of one of the many round silver platters we've been acquiring since the beginning of the month. On top of acquiring the platter, I found some great National Geographic magazines from 1929, 1930, and 1931. The magazines will add lovely period detail to our tent.

HWC

1 comment:

  1. Pauline's? I know that store oh too well and Pauline oh too well. I take it this means you guys are from alameda?

    ReplyDelete