Sunday, June 17, 2012

Infant Wear


We will be celebrating my son, Beckett's, 1st birthday at the Gatsby Summer Afternoon Picnic.  I can not think of a better way to commemorate this milestone than in period costume with fellow costume/vintage lovers!  This will also be the first (of many) anachronistic events we plan to take our son to & I am very excited to enter him into his very first costume contest!

Costume contest in mind,  I decided to begin the hunt for a period-perfect outfit for my boy. This was not such an easy task as a) he's still growing at an unpredictable rate & b) standard children's sizes from the 1920's & 30's are not the same as today's measures.


Referencing my trusty reproduction copy of the 1927 Edition of The Sears, Roebuck Catalogue, I began by researching outfits of the day.  I came across a number of adorable styles I would love to acquire or duplicate.


I crazy love these little rompers with their puffy pants & peter pan collars.


And how cute are these Roll'c Play Suits!  A sailor collar is always irresistible on a little boy and I just can't get enough of those flared pocket pants!

A few looks in mind, I launched my search on ebay.  The first contender I came across were these fabulous vintage pants by Marx Made. 



I love that the tag reads: To be worn on his First Birthday!  Doing a little research, I discovered these were distributed as customer appreciation gifts during the late 20's/early 30's.  


I really loved the cut & quality of these pants, but wanted to find something that was more of a summer look.   September is usually hot in the San Francisco Bay Area, so wool was probably not the best of choices.

Next I found this adorable romper set.  I LOVE this romper, but at $99 or Best Offer it is a bit rich for my blood.  It is the perfect look, however, so I have added it to my Watch List for now...


I also stumbled across the below romper.  Yes, it is not as colorful as the above, but at a 10th of the price , I could make it more special by dying the shorts royal blue or red.  Or maybe orange or yellow.  Hmmm....


The hunt continues...

xox- KB-D

1 comment:

  1. I love it when i see babies and little kids dressed with just as much attention to detail as the adults are. I saw a picture of your son's outfit, i have almost the exact romper in my collection of clothing. It was suposed to be used for my friends son who also just turned 1 but they didnt make it unfortunately

    ReplyDelete