Friday, June 22, 2012

Things That Make You Go Vroooom!

Hello!

Growing up I have always loved automobiles. It's probably the main reason I went into Industrial Design as a profession. One of my favorite toys as a child was a line of Matchbox cars called Models of Yesteryear from the late 1970's. They were a little larger and more detailed than your average run of the mill Matchbox car. With my small fleet of "old fashioned cars" as my mother called them, I would have car shows long before I knew about the Concours d'Elegance.

My car is still somewhere at my parents house

Odd that I've only owned two cars, so far, since getting my drivers license at the age of 16. Maybe it's because I'm not really a "gearhead". Sure, I can change oil and tune up a car or at least I could do that to my old Jeep, but I could care less about performance as long as the car was pretty (industrial designer, remember?). So my dream is to one day own a beautiful vintage car. I would drive the hell out of it. What's the point of owning such an object if not to use it and show it off?

As much as I'd love to cruise up to the Gatsby Summer Picnic in a beautiful vintage ride, it's currently not in the cards, but it did get me to day dreaming. As much as I'd love to own something that would grace the stage at the Concours d'Elegance, realistically I would probably search good ole Craigslist for my period whip. Below are a few cars I'd consider if the stars aligned and money were to fall into my lap.

1925 Nash 4-door Sedan
 
 1925 Nash 4-door Sedan

Now, sources I've found classify art deco automobiles as cars produced between the two world wars. Since my taste tends to lean towards the earlier side of those years, I thought the above 1925 Nash sedan is a great contender. I think these tall box shaped sedans are uber elegant. I can picture myself stepping out of the back seat, because the chauffeur is driving of course, in a tux with tails with a top hat, cape and cane. The Nash above is on CL now for $12K.

1928 Ford Model "A" Pick-up Truck

1928 Ford Model "A" Pick-up Truck

Practicality entered my mind when I saw this beautiful 1928 Ford Model A pick-up truck. With all the accoutrement involved with the picnic, I thought a truck would be a great choice to bring to the event. I think we'd only be able to load the tent and one trunk of the limoges in that bed. The above Ford is currently on CL for $15K.

1932 Chevrolet Woody Wagon

1932 Chevrolet Woody Wagon

Here's another contender for practicality, although this hauler has a lot of style going for it. This car exudes country outing to me. Add a roof rack to it and I think we'd be able get everything to the picnic in one haul! Asking price for this exquisite example of auto meets forest is $35K.

 
1934 Rolls Royce Limousine

 
1934 Rolls Royce Limousine

Now here's an auto that the Dowager Countess could get behind. What a stately entrance you would make in this 1934 Rolls Royce Limousine. I think I'd repaint it to something more cheerful and the interior would have mohair, yards and yards of mohair! The CL ad says it runs but needs some work. Asking price is $19,900.

 1936 Cadillac LaSalle 4-door Touring Sedan

 1936 Cadillac LaSalle 4-door Touring Sedan

Talk about the cats meow! Though I prefer the more boxy shapes the sheer mass of this car appeals to me; swoopy and robust lines. This is a car, I would imagine, any respectable American gangster would own. Imagine all the bodies, um, I mean picnic supplies you get into that trunk? And I even like the color. Asking price $26,500.

1939 Buick Special Sedan

1939 Buick Special Sedan

And finally I'll end with this beautiful Packard. What's more elegant than a rear wheel skirt? Probably it's pale yellow paint job. Couldn't you just picture a beautiful lady stepping out of those rear suicide doors in a sun dress and bonnet? Asking price, $17,500.

Ah, to dream.

-HWC

2 comments:

  1. I’m sure you share the same dream with a lot of car lovers. Include me in the list! :D Owning a vintage car is like reliving the past. It is an expensive investment, but it all pays off with the fun and self-satisfaction you get from keeping it in tip-top shape.

    -->Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete